Saturday, June 17, 2006

Shoes

Junk here. Shoes are an unappreciated prerequisite to modern road cycling. I learned that the hard way after our hour long drive to Briançon and I realized that the feeling we all have that we forgot something was legitimate this time. Squirrel and Slug ventured to Sestriere as I drove another couple hours to get the shoes. The boys had nice climbs to Italy over the Col de Montgenevre and then up Sestriere. Squirrel was determined to eat authentic Italian food but all he got was a sad excuse for a panini which was more like a salami baguette.

I met up with them just over the Italian border and we set off to find the Col de Izoard which will feature in the Tour this year. Well that didn't work out as planned either as we took a wrong turn. In the end we all got in good hours and great scenery, but the Izoard remains on our to do list.

Since I got off to the late start and didn't make it to Sestriere, I rode back to the hotel over the Col de Lauteret which rounded out my 7 hour, 119 mile day.

1 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Mark said...

A rather pedestrian post, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home